Top Albums of 2018
Following on from last years top albums of 2017 post, I've compiled by top 50 albums ( or more technically, artists since Between The Buried And Me released Automata as parts I & II ).
Once again I've found my musical journey all over the place again this year, bouncing between my love of progressive/symphonic rock/metal, doom, and old school thrash.
Tourniquet - one of my all-time favourite Christian progressive metal bands returned with Gazing At Medusa featuring none other than Tim Ripper Owens (Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Charred Walls of the Dammed) and Chris Poland (Megadeth, Lamb of God, OHM) brings both a sound and feel that's reminiscent of Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance - which instantly elevates the album to my favourites list.
Reactivated Deliverance return with some much-needed Christian thrash metal with The Subversive Kind - interestingly the line up features former Tourniquet bassist Victor Macias, founding guitarist Glen Rogers and long running front man Jimmy P. Brown II - all rounded out with Jim Chaffin (The Blamed, The Crucified, Mortal) on the skins making this a veritable whose-who of 90s Christian Metal.
Coming in 3 for 3 with in this year's top list comes Stryper with their somewhat controversially titled God Damn Evil) - except for the questionably shouted chorus of Take It To The Cross Michael Sweet is as strong as ever with the vocals on this release.
In what takes to the complete other extreme - Bloodbath return with The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn - the Swedish death metal supergroup now with Nick Holmes (Paradise Lost) at the helm is a different beast than its earlier incarnations - but is still a grim, wretched force of metal ready to tear you apart.
Progressive rock was once again in high rotation this year, with the reawakening of Roine Stolt's The Flower King, Gazpacho, The Pineapple Thief, Arena and All Traps On Earth (made up of members of Anglagard), along with the more metal end of the progressive spectrum with releases from Alkaloid, Gorod, Angra, Antimatter, and what is undoubtably two of the best releases of the year - Haken and Symphony X mastermind Michael Romeo's solo album.
Funeral Doom once again made its bleak mournful presence this year with releases from Evoken, Eye of Solitude, Mournful Congregation along with sludgy stoner doom greats from High On Fire, Yob and Sleep.
So without further ado - my Top 50 "Releases" of 2018:
- A Flock Named Murder - An Appointed Time
- Aeonian Sorrow - Into The Eternity A Moment We Are
- Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy
- All Traps On Earth - A Drop of Light
- Alterbeast - Feast
- Angelus Apatrida - Cabaret De La Guillotine
- Angra - OMNI
- Antimatter - Black Market Enlightenment
- Arena - Double Vision
- Audrey Horne - Blackout
- Barren Earth - A Complex Of Cages
- Between The Buried And Me - Automata I & II
- Bloodbath - The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn
- CANNOT - Chained Giant
- Carpe Noctem - Vitrum
- Coheed and Cambria - The Unheavenly Creatures
- Cor Serpenti - Phenomankind
- Deliverance - The Subversive Kind
- Dimmu Borgir - Eonian
- Eryn Non Dae. - Abandon Of The Self
- Evoken - Hypnagogia
- Eyes of Solitude - Slaves To Solitide
- Gazpacho - Soyuz
- Gorod - Aethra
- Haken - Vector
- High On Fire - Electric Messiah
- Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed
- Howling Sycamore - Howling Sycamore
- In Oblivion - Memories Engraved In Stone
- Judas Priest - Firepower
- The Konsortium - Rogaland
- Loneshore - From Presence To Silence
- Michael Romeo - War of the Worlds Pt 1
- Moonparticle - Hurricane Esmeralda
- Mounful Congregation - The Incubus of Karma
- Mourning Dawn - The Dead Years
- The Pineapple Theif - Dissolution
- Redemption - Long Night's Journey into Day
- Rikard Sjoblom's Gungfly - Friendship
- Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name
- Roine Stolt's The Flower King - Manifesto Of An Alchemist
- Seventh Wonder - Tiara
- Sleep - The Sciences
- Stryper - God Damn Evil
- Subsignal - La Muerta
- The Tangent - Proxy
- Tesseract - Sonder
- Tourniquet - Gazing At Medusa
- UN - Sentiment
- Yob - Our Raw Heart